Saturday, October 13, 2012

Strength In Times of Weakness

          
Isaiah 40:29-31 - 
He gives power to the weak 
and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, 
and young men will fall in exhaustion. 
But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.



     Strength is something we all need from time to time. After all we are human. We often try to do things our way and find ourselves weak and defeated when it doesn't work out like we had planned. But God tells us that our strength is made perfect through our weakness. It's when we are at our weakest that if we look to him, he will rescue us. Psalms 118 tells us that God is our strength and through him we have victory. 

     The Bible tells us that we can all things through Christ who strengthens us. We only need to allow God to give us that supernatural strength. God says that he will never allow us to go through more than we can handle. I know from my recent experiences that obviously God has more faith in me than I've had in myself. But when I was at my lowest point, my rock bottom, the only way to look was up. And there was God with his arms outstretched waiting to pull me up out of my despair. 

     I recently heard of a story about a man that was in a concentration camp. On the walls of his prison cell these words were scratched into the wall:

I believe in the sun even though it doesn't shine.
I believe in love, even when it isn't shown.
I believe in God, even when he doesn't speak.

     Through what was assuredly the worst time in this man's life, he never lost his faith in God. What did this man know that we don't? I think it's the simple fact that when we are hopeless, broken and alone, God is standing right next to us waiting. God is waiting for us to turn to him in our times of trouble. Waiting for us to allow him to be God and make his promises a reality in our lives. We only have to turn to God on our darkest days and he will be our Strength in Times of Weakness.

1 comment:

  1. Rick, this is by far my favorite of all your posts, though I have loved them all. I too have asked God why He thinks I am strong enough to handle all that I've faced the past few months. I realized He was wanting to carry me as I was not strong enough on my own. There would most certainly be one set of "footprints in the sand". I am weak, but He is strong. I had strayed and lost focus on Him, but luckily you can take a million steps away from God and only ONE to get back. Love you, and may God continue to use you in mighty ways.

    ReplyDelete